Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Roof Rack for 5 wide  

Page 2 / 2

davidreidok
(@davidreidok)
Active Member Customer

On Saturday 9 Jan 2021 I received a package from Tim Anderson Hauler Racks Inc.  No communication other than what looks to me to be the ProRac nuts and bolt package plus Tear Drop Trailer Rack Installation document.

At this point I think I have what I need to install the roof rack kit I paid Tear Drop Shop for.

I appreciate the help other folks on this message board gave me to get the ProRac nuts and bolts kit.

dave

ReplyQuote
davidreidok
(@davidreidok)
Active Member Customer

I put together and test fitted the rack to the little guy 5 wide.

Too cold here to spend more time outside with a drill.

I can recommend this roof rack for a little guy 5 wide.  Very well built and an excellent addition to the little guy 5 wide.

I have the standard tent enclosure for the doors.  But this rack makes hooking up my tarp for an awning (back or side) very easy and strong.

A good ending.     Dave

Wildcat liked
ReplyQuote
groveratc
(@groveratc)
Member Moderator

Glad things worked out for you. Post some pictures once you have it all installed. 

ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Trusted Member Customer

Excellent.  It looked like lots of pieces.  I'm too chicken to drill holes in mine, but it had the Yakima Rack already on it.  So, I have an ARB awning on one side and a skinny roof basket on the other.  Yours can handle more weight.

ReplyQuote
davidreidok
(@davidreidok)
Active Member Customer

Yup this rack is super sturdy.  I have used Yakima racks on my vehicles for decades to haul kayaks and canoes.  This ProRac tho looks like it could be a roll bar.   I am doing the measurements to drill today, probably will put off the actual drilling till tomorrow.  As you mentioned, I am a bit scared to drill holes in the little guy 5 wide, but it has to be done.

Interesting that you have the awning.  I am more interested in connecting a big awning to the rack than putting a canoe on the rack.

Wildcat liked
ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Trusted Member Customer

I have the 6x8 ARB which i don't use too often.  I hear none are very good in wind.  I like the Foxwing or Batwing, but my galley lid sticks up rather far compared to some others.  Some get some brackets that make it sit way up there, but that looks a bit odd.  I have the room that goes under the awning, but have not used that because I don't stay in one place very long so far. I'll look for a picture of mine.

Once I could have used the awning and didn't have it yet, it poured huge drops off and on all day, and I had to crawl in with a wet coat and run out and cook between the storms.  Now, I also have my 6x6 Clam shelter that I can usually set up just behind the galley, goes up in a minute.  It is a screen room, and I got the walls to attach for privacy, and it worked well to use the Buddy heater in there,  and the dog was probably too warm.

ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Trusted Member Customer

Here is my trailer with the skinny roof basket with extension, and it seems big enough for me.  The awning is on the other side.  The basket sticks over a couple inches, but not bad.  The awning pretty much sits down on the bars.

This post was modified 5 days ago by Wildcat

ReplyQuote
groveratc
(@groveratc)
Member Moderator

I couldn’t ever find an awning that I liked so I made my own. It connects onto the trailer by sliding into the keder rail. 

ReplyQuote
davidreidok
(@davidreidok)
Active Member Customer

That is a nice set up.

I do a lot of river rafting and have several tarps from that.

I think I will add a telescoping pipe to the roof rack (I have several from my river tripping) for the rv side of the tarp and use regular tarp poles for the outside corners.  Thought about the ARB setup but already have several river tarps.

Nothing better than setting under a tarp with either a cool drink or hot coffee when rain showers happen.

Wildcat liked
ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Trusted Member Customer

That's interesting, the telescoping pipes, saves money.  I'm wondering if I could do something like that over the galley, if needed.  I'll consider that.  The ARB, it's almost like they wrapped it around a 2x4, and it's a bit heavy.  I have to get a step in place by the trailer or I can't reach to get it stuffed back in the bag.  The rough rider is high enough that it's a long reach for me.

ReplyQuote
davidreidok
(@davidreidok)
Active Member Customer

here is one of the tarps I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3NDMLJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have some of the suction cup holders as well to hold the tarp ends down to the little guy or will tie the ends to the roof rack crossbars on side or back.  The amazon link shows the tarp pitched over the tail gate of a SUV. Should work off the back of the little guy.

ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Trusted Member Customer

That is a setup I have not seen before, thanks.  When better weather arrives, I'll pull the trailer out and see if I can figure out something for rain storms.  I'm too lazy for anything elaborate.  I once had the Tail Veil, but I wasn't impressed and sold it.  With the Tail Veil, you can't very well close the galley because it all collapses.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: