Notifications
Clear all

Tow vehicle for your LG Max?

nhguy
(@nhguy)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hi,

We have looked at and love the LGM and are close to closing a deal on a new one.

Our current big car is a 2009 Honda Pilot, with 250K miles on it, no tow package.

Needless to say, I am in the market now to also buy a new vehicle ... one that can tow the LGM without it being a white knuckle experience!  : )

This would be my everyday drive and I prefer an SUV style over a pickup.  Also, our garage is on the tight side and a pickup would not fit in it.

I have been thinking a newer Pilot, Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, etc.   

If I have to go with a pickup, so be it.  It would be on the modest siZe however.

What do folks recommend?

I would love to hear what other owners use and what their experience has been.

Thx,

Rob

TexasLGmax
(@texaslgmax)
Trusted Member Customer

Good Morning nhguy!  Welcome to the community and LG trailers.  I've towed many a trailer and without exception, the bigger the engine, the better.  Now, saying that doesn't mean you need to go out and buy the biggest baddest truck on the market!  Ask yourself a simple question:

1) Where will I be going?  Local, long distance, off road?

The answer will generally point you towards the answer you're looking for.  I tow ours with a Ford F150 Eco 6 cylinder, and I'm very happy with it.  I used to tow with a Tundra 8 cylinder.  Loved it!  I also used a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, also very good.  What I guess I'm saying is power, transmission and towing package are key.  Don't just get a 4 cylinder whatever and put a Uhaul hitch on it.  That's not a towing package!  Towing capacity and torque are key.  I would recommend a minimum of 6 cylinders and a vehicle with a frame built for towing with transmission cooling.  A lot of the smaller SUV's say they can tow, but the frame and transmission really can't, not long distance.   I can tow with a Prius, but at some point you'll be sorry.  Also, this is NOT about mpg.  Expect to loose 1/2 of the highway mpg while towing, less if it's 8 cylinders.  I get 22mpg on the highway, but when I tow, I get 10mpg max.  If at all possible, get AWD or 4 wheel drive.  This has saved me many times.  It's worth the extra $$.  The LGMax is fantastic and very light but remember you will be adding gear.  We average 4 -500lbs of gear when we go and that's with empty tanks.  So having a vehicle that can tow 4000lbs is something to think about.  Most SUV's rear suspensions are pretty weak.  A good tow vehicle will have a tougher rear suspension too.  

Ok, I've given you a bunch to think about.  There are plenty of good vehicles out there, just be sure they are made to tow, not just an add on.  Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, just drop a note.

susan and maggielu liked
ReplyQuote
nhguy
(@nhguy)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

For reliability we have had great experience with Subaru, Toyota, and Honda.  

Thus, I am considering the Honda Piot, the Ascent, and the Highlander .. largest engine and AWD in each case.

They all claim 5000lb towing capacity.   

This is a min. for my needs.  Next step up would be the big SUVs (Taho, Suburben, Expedition, etc) or a low end F150.

ReplyQuote
nhguy
(@nhguy)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

I am now looking into  Ford Ranger.  It has 7500 lb tow capacity and longer wheel base than most SUVs.

I would consider an F-150 but, it would not fit in our garage.  The Ranger would barely fit.

Would the Ranger be a good tower for the LGM?

ReplyQuote
TexasLGmax
(@texaslgmax)
Trusted Member Customer

The mid-size trucks coming out and the ones out are a good choice.  Again, just make sure the trans and towing package are truly a towing package.  Most trucks are, regardless of physical size. I like pickups for towing for another reason, the bed.  You can store all your gear while traveling and camping in the bed and never have to worry about where to put things.  Fire wood as an example, extra propane, battery and generator are all things I don't want in the vehicle or in the camper.  The bed is perfect, just make sure the suspension is appropriate.  I recommend a nice hard cover.  Lots of options.  

Good luck.    Dennis

maggielu liked
ReplyQuote
nhguy
(@nhguy)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Actually, am looking at a Ranger now.

ReplyQuote
joer
 joer
(@joer)
New Member Customer

I recently purchased my Max and I am towing with a 2020 Subaru Ascent.  So far so good. 

ReplyQuote
mysticnord
(@mysticnord)
New Member Customer

I’ve been towing my 2021 LGM with a 2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium for about 3000 miles now with no problems. When I ordered my 4Runner, I had the dealer install light truck tires and Blistein shocks, and of course a trailer brake controller. The engine is stock. I’ve kept the tires inflated to 60psi. I’ve tried to keep the trailer weight around 3,500lbs. Mostly we’ve been camping in the mountains of NC, VA and TN and getting about 10.5mpg. Interestingly, the one trip we’ve taken to the coast, about a 330 mile haul one way, we got only 9.9mpg on the flat lands. One other thing about my towing setup is I had the RV dealer install a Hensley Hitch Cub on the LGM. (The dealership did NOT get the install correct, which I attribute to a general lack of competence, but they at least got it on to the point that I could correct their errors myself. 🙄 Just be aware that if you ask your RV dealer to do anything outside of their average experience, you should probably go over the work with a fine tooth comb.) The Hensley Hitch is a sway elimination and weight distribution hitch that cost me about $2800, but I swear it’s been worth every penny. - My wife and I have a long trip from NC to CO and back coming up early in September, so I’m taking the 4Runner in for service prior to the trip just to make sure all is good to go.

ReplyQuote
Share: