Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Towing  

offthegrid
(@offthegrid)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Does anyone use a weight-distribution hitch to tow their Little Guy Max? I have 2021 Tacoma and wanted to know if I need one. Thanks!

gordyt
(@gordyt)
New Member Customer

I'm pulling my LGM with a Jeep Gladiator Mojave.  At the dealer's recommendation, I do use a weight-distribution hitch.  It works very well, just a bit more hassle to attach and detach.

ReplyQuote
TexasLGmax
(@texaslgmax)
Eminent Member Customer

I don't use one offthegrid.  I tow with an F150 V6.  The camper dealer recommended it and sway control, but I'm pretty sure it was just to add over $1000 to the purchase.  I've towed much larger, heavier trailers with no additional tow add ons.  It really is a personal choice.  My personal choice is to provide weight distribution by packing the trailer intelligently and minding my speed as I travel.  If the trailer was 25 -30 feet, I would probably go for additional hardware.   

derrick liked
ReplyQuote
mysticnord
(@mysticnord)
New Member Customer

I’m using a Hensley Hitch Cub and a 2021 4Runner. Modified the 4Runner with light truck tires and upgraded shocks. The Hensley Hitch is a $2800 beast that I think most folks would consider overkill, so it was right up my alley. I love it. The LGM tracks beautifully behind the 4Runner, and when an 18 wheeler blows past me doing 75mph I almost don’t feel it. Even meeting one on a two-lane road has caused no problems. Also, I couldn’t be happier with the customer service from Hensley Manufacturing. Sydney DeLong answered every single question I had in a timely (same day!) knowledgeable and friendly fashion over a period of several months as I did my homework. And it’s all USA made. It’s obvious I’m sold on the thing, but as another reply noted, intelligently balancing your trailer and staying within all weight parameters of both the tow vehicle and LGM couldn’t be of more importance to a safe towing experience.

ReplyQuote
ijeffreyp
(@ijeffreyp)
New Member Customer

I tow my LG Max with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with automatic ride height adjustment and a max towing capacity of 6,200 pounds.  I use the load leveler bars at the dealer's recommendation.  I Think that this was oversell and would like to lose the additional weight that these heavy bars add.  Any thoughts?  I live in El Paso, TX and would welcome hearing from any nearby LGM owners.

ReplyQuote
TexasLGmax
(@texaslgmax)
Eminent Member Customer

I live in the Dallas area Jeffery.  Not close when you drive it, but it's still in the state.  I have towed many trailers with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 without added hardware with no issues.  It all comes down to your comfort level when towing and what your weight distribution looks like when the trailer is all loaded up.  Personally, I'm not sure the added weight of the leveler makes much difference especially when you have the auto height adjustment.  Since it's there, I would leave it.  The positives for keeping it probably outweigh the negatives.  Just my 2 cents minus taxes, title and licenses.

ReplyQuote
Share: