Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vehicles with adequate towing capacity.

lisamoo
(@lisamoo)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hi! I'm thinking of buying a Mini Max but my Honda CRV is not able to tow it, even dry, let alone packed. I can't find a list of smaller SUV's that have at least a 3000lb towing capacity (assuming that is adequate). Does anyone in this group know of such a list? I know I can calculate the towing capacity of any vehicle I am interested in but a premade list (especially tailored to the Mini Max) would be so much easier. Thanks for your help!

Topic Tags
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Estimable Member Customer

I don't have a list.  A MiniMax weighs over 2300 pounds.  If it were me, I'd want more than 3,000 towing capacity; I'd want at least 5,000.  Others may say less.  

I have a (no longer made) Little Guy Five Wide Rough Rider which weighs nearly 1500 pounds dry.  I pull it with a Nissan Xterra six speed rated for 5,000 pounds and 500 pounds hitch weight.  I noticed a difference immediately from the previous 900 pound trailer while towing.  I am in mountainous areas, so going uphill, I really notice the difference and am shifting down sooner.  If I added another 800 pounds, I do not think I would trust it to do the job.  But that's me.  I am probably a dinosaur, driving a six speed.  There are many opinions out there.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Wildcat

ReplyQuote
lisamoo
(@lisamoo)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

@wildcat Thanks for your insight. I have seen others saying the same thing so you are not alone!

Wildcat liked
ReplyQuote
Wildcat
(@wildcat)
Estimable Member Customer

@lisamoo It doesnt take long for weight to add up, although you probably wouldn't have need to pack so much.  I have added a spare tire, awning, roof basket, cooler full of ice and water, action packer with tools, etc.  Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon, a couple cast iron pots in the galley among other things, stuff in the back of the Xterra, and a 50 pound dog in the back seat, and a Clam shelter.  I once weighed everything, but have not since a few changes.  I have added weight, but also subtracted some, so I'm safe for putting on the brakes and getting stopped.

ReplyQuote
silverfox
(@silverfox)
New Member Customer

There are a lot of mid and smaller sized SUV's out there that are rated at 3500lbs. I know Toyota Rav4 makes a model that will tow 3500 lbs when properly equipped. I've been towing off and on for over 40yrs and I would not hesitate to tow a Mini Max with that vehicle. There will always be somebody out there who will tell you to be safe and buy a bigger vehicle. I would trust the engineers who design and certify the vehicles over someone's opinion. I would say you were being ill-advised to purchase a vehicle with a towing capacity of over 5000lbs just to tow that unit.     

lisamoo liked
ReplyQuote
lisamoo
(@lisamoo)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Thank you @silverfox!

ReplyQuote
lstamp
(@lstamp)
New Member Customer

I pull my 2018 LGM with a Subaru Ascent it pulls the 4000lb  trailer no problem has 500lb max on on the hitch. Equalizer anti sway hitch. The unit Pulls easy with the 4 cylinder Turbo, even in the mountains, On very steep grades its single digits MPG. But it is never screaming at a red line to do it. Plenty of revs left over if needed. On flat open it creeps up on 20 mpg

ReplyQuote
lstamp
(@lstamp)
New Member Customer

One other thing on stretches in the mountains were it is 130 miles to the next gas station and MPG is in the single digits. I am going to carry a spare fuel can or bag just in case. The tank is only 19 + gal. This was only a problem in Utah.

ReplyQuote
Share: